Every home has its own specific smell that differs from other homes. This smell is a combination from the smell of the occupants, the food they cook, the perfume they use, humidity, ventilation, and among others. This is normal for some house, but for others, it can be disorienting for them especially for your guests or visitors that will visit your home.
No matter how hard you clean your house, the smell just won’t go away. But don’t let that discourage you. There’s always an easy workaround to avoid this kind of situation. With that being said, here are some household cleaning tips for you to say goodbye to those bad household odors away.
Use Baking Soda
- Did you know? Baking soda is an effective solution to keep your home away from smelling bad. Odors from your pet, smoke, and other can become easier to clean with the help of baking soda.
- Put baking soda in a bowl and place them in some areas around your home. It will magically suck out the smell of the odors of your home when you leave them there for hours. After that, vacuum the powder to get rid of the smells.
Let Fresh Air Flow Inside Your House
- If the above tip isn’t effective for you, then the first thing you need to consider is to open your windows to let fresh air flow inside your house. If you don’t have enough ventilation inside your home, then get ready for some stinky days ahead.
- Keep all your doors and windows opened especially during the day to dissipate the smell. You can alternatively use a fan to get rid of the smell and prevent odors to stay inside your home.
Bathe Your Pets
- One of the reasons your home smells stinky as because of your pets. Give them regular baths every week to keep them fresh and clean all the time. You can also alternatively lightly sprinkle a bit of baking soda in their fur and rub it properly then brush it out after for a quick fix.
Drain Your Dishwasher
- Sometimes, the dishwasher is the culprit of the smelly essence that your home had. After washing your dishes, check if the drain hose has crimping and take a quick check at the bottom of the drain if there are some bits of gunk and food that are left behind. If there are some, put half a cup of baking powder on it and slowly pour a 50-100ml of vinegar in the bottom and leave it for an hour or two. This will keep the odor away.
- If it didn’t, then it’s time to buy stronger chemical solutions to help remove the odor. You can find a lot of them online or you can just visit your local supermarket to buy one.
Wash Your Trash
- Leaving your trash can unwashed can result to an odor you don’t want to smell. Keep your trash cans clean by washing them with hot water and soap. Hot water and soap combined can soften sticky and grimy things that are often left behind when throwing. Use fabric softener sheets in the bottom of your trash can as this can help absorb the odors away.
Get Rid of a Pungent Kitchen
- Cooking food can create kitchen odor. If you’re cooking with cabbages and fish as your ingredients, place a small amount of vinegar on the stove to absorb stinky odor. Keep your fridge from being smelly by putting baking soda in a plastic tub with holes in its lid and place it inside the fridge. You can also wipe your fridge walls using a cloth dampened on vinegar to get rid of odors.
Clean Your Microwave
- Some people tend to leave their microwave uncleaned after using it. What’s even worse is that the odor of this food buildup will mix in with the food that you’re going to cook later inside the microwave.
- To avoid this, clean your microwave every after use. Fill a large bowl with one cup of boiling water with three chopped lemons. Let it steam for at least 15 to 20 minutes until the water cools down. Leave it inside the microwave until the smell is nowhere to be smelled. Don’t forget to unplug your microwave first before doing such to prevent any dangerous electrical hazards.
Take Care of Your Room
- A smelly room hinders you to enjoy your home the way you want it to. You can use some of the tips mentioned above to clean your room. After doing such, place an air freshener to make everything smell good and clean again. As long as you do proper cleaning and by following the tips above, you can have a fresh and clean home in no time.